Distance Learning Center
We have entered an unprecedented learning experience during these times. As we have shifted our education from Nativity of Mary School to distance learning we want to continue to do everything we can to support our families and students. We have created the Distance Learning Center page in hopes to provide resources and information to those who need it!
Our goal, as always, is to work together to create a strong, faith filled education for our students.
“The teachers and staff at Nativity have gone far beyond what I would have expected for Distance Learning. My child receives daily videos and lessons, small group and large group Zoom meetings, and regular feedback from his teacher. It is clear to me that Nativity puts the “whole child” first, both in school and online, and our community remains strong because of this thoughtful leadership.”
“I was amazed by how quickly and smoothly the transition into Distance Learning. Within days of the Governor’s announcement of school closing, the Nativity teachers and staff had clearly communicated a plan to the families and the students. Although it is called “Distance Learning”, my children have still felt very connected to their classmates and teachers.”
During this time of distance learning we have been able to come together as a community and quickly transition to a new learning experience. Our teachers and staff have gone above and beyond, as always, to help each student feel supported and encouraged. Just because we cannot be together in person hasn’t stopped us from being there for each other! Here are some of the highlights of our distance learning time:
- Our preschool teachers have continued to provide engaging curriculum and materials to families to help keep our preschool students excited about learning while focusing on a love of play.
- Lunch Bunch! This is a time where our teachers set up a video chat with the students during lunch to have a chance to catch up and spend time ‘together’.
- The preschool teachers also put together a video for everyday that mimicked the morning meetings, this includes some letter lesson, daily prayer and more.
- Reading time! Our teachers created a video of them reading a book for every day of school.
- Our Kindergarten teachers provided daily morning message videos that included prayer, morning meeting, and much more.
- The students worked on daily tasks that included iReady math, iReady reading, math workbook assignments, Superkids reading workbook assignments, a religion activity, and a science activity.
- Each class has a virtual meeting once a week to read, play games, and share.
- The Kindergarteners got the opportunity to meet virtually with our Kindergarten teachers one-on-one to share about their day, read together, or ask questions.
- Our elementary grades have been continuing their lessons in reading, writing, science/social studies, and religion.
- Since our students were missing face-to-face time with each other, the teachers began utilizing Flipgrid for recording little videos for each other, both academic ones and fun ones.
- Though our students can’t get in to Makerspace our teachers got creative in coming up with ways students could still participate in Makerspace crafts and activities using things they would find at home.
- Our teachers have put together fun activities like savager hunts, DIY obstacle courses, and more!
- Our middle schoolers didn’t just adjust well to distance learning, they continued to exceed every expectation.
- Middle schoolers have a one-to-one ratio with Chromebooks for academic purposes making them familiar with the idea of learning with technology.
- The middle school teachers utilized various learning platforms such as Google Classroom and Zoom in order to stay in constant communication with student and parents/guardians.
- Our middle school teachers made sure to work with parents to help each student feel supported in what they needed to be successful even during this time apart.
- Our Music and Art teachers didn’t miss a beat when it came to distance learning.
- Each level of grades was given age appropriate activities to work on that would help them continue to engage in the arts.
- Our students continued with assignments for art by finding creative ways of using tools and materials found at home.
- Music is helpful for bringing joy even in challenging times, this rings true for our students as they continued to work with our Music teacher to have fun singing and creating/using instruments.
- Our amazing PE teacher helped students keep moving their bodies even from afar.
- Our students participated in fun and creative outside games and activities provided by our PE teacher.
- We held a Virtual Field Day where our students were able to adapt our usual field day activities into ones that they could do at home with their families.
- Our PE teacher provided physical education programing for every day for each grade level, making sure everything was age appropriate and adaptable to being at home.
- Find your grace and remain calm. As we navigate uncharted territories we can add calm to the chaos
- Make a relaxing work space/school space.
- Play relaxing music
- Try using aroma therapy! Lavender can help us feel comfortable and calm
Simplicity is Key
- We are all doing our best! Keeping things simple is important to help not feel overwhelmed
- Focus on what you can do, not what you can’t
- Have a family schedule
- Don’t try to do too much in one day, spread things out if you are feeling rushed or stressed
Catholic resource with free activities
Kid-safe, Ad-free streaming library
A group of educational websites
Facts, history, geography, games and more
Educational games and videos
Movement and mindfulness videos
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored they help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.
Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here, ever this day be at my side, To light and guard, rule and guide.
Saint Michael Prayer
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.